Instructions: There are two parts to the homework. Part 1 is here on this page and Part 2 is on the next page. As always, you should be paraphrasing and summarizing; when you occasionally use the authors words, indicate that you are with quotation marks and page or paragraph number. And, for questions that are worth more points, you should do more writing.
Part 1 “You Guys”
Kleinman, S., Copp, M., & Wilson, K. (2021). We’ve come a long way, guys!: Rhetorics of resistance to the feminist critique of sexist language. Gender & Society, 35(1), 61-84.
Cameron, D. (2016, February 21). Guys and dudes. Language: A Feminist Guide. https://debuk.wordpress.com/2016/02/21/guys-and-dudes/
1) Where did Kleinman et al. find the arguments that they are now categorizing? (5 pts)
2) They create five categories of arguments (rhetorics) that say the use of “you guys” is NOT sexist. a) Put in your own words three of those rhetorics for why “you guys” is not sexist. b). What are counterarguments to those three rhetorics? (24 pts)
3) What is Camerons argument about the use of you guys? (16 pts)
4) What do you think? Do you use “you guys”? If so what argument best represents your stance. If you dont, which of the stances taken by people who use it do you find most bothersome? Or, if you dont find other peoples use bothersome, just explain why you dont use it. (5 pts)
Part 2 Pronouns and labels
A) CROWLEYS TEDTALK VIDEO LANGUAGE AROUND GENDER AND IDENTITY EVOLVES (AND ALWAYS HAS)?
B) MONTELL’S VIDEO THE PROBLEM WITH GENDER-NEUTRAL PRONOUNS
c) Paul, P. (2022, October 23). Lets say gay. New York Times.
d) Rocheleau, J. (2019, August 21). A former slur is reclaimed and listeners have mixed feelings. NPR. https://www.npr.org/sections/publiceditor/2019/08/21/752330316/a-former-slur-is-reclaimed-and-listeners-have-mixed-feelings
5) Watch Crowleys TedTalk video (Language around gender and identity evolves (and always has)) and Montells video (The problem with gender-neutral pronouns). (24 pts)
a. Give at least three arguments (3 altogether, not 3 each) that they provide. You can combine relevant portions of each video (their arguments might overlap).
b. How do they counter those arguments? Again, you can combine relevant portions of each video (their counterarguments might overlap). Be complete enough that what you’ve written could be understood by someone who hasn’t seen the videos.
6) Read both Paul and Rocheleau. Make clear what each author has to say about the use of ‘gay’ and ‘queer’ (both positive and negative). You should have a long paragraph for each. (20 pts)
7) How do you and people in your life use ‘queer’ or how do you hear it used? Do you share or do you have objections to any of the opinions voiced by Paul or Rocheleau? (6 pts)
Requirements: answers all questions in depth
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
1. Click on the “Place order tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need help with this assignment?
Order it here claim 25% discount
Discount Code: SAVE25